I’ve been in an accident, what should I do?
First off, we’re sorry this happened to you; we hope that no one was hurt and that you’re OK. Collisions can be traumatic experiences for everyone involved. If you’re reading this at the scene of an accident, the following steps will help protect you and your loved ones both immediately and in the long run:
- Make sure your car is stopped and that the ignition is off.
- Call 911 if someone was injured. If not, use the Ottawa Police “Other Emergencies” number: 613-230-6211.
- Exchange information with the other drivers. Make sure you get their name, address, phone number and insurance information.
- Take photos of the scene of the accident—use a cellphone, smartphone, or tablet if you have one available. Make sure to save the pictures in case you need them in the future.
- File an official Accident Report within 48 hours. This is the law.
- Let your insurance company know immediately.
- Many insurance companies offer services to help you get through this.
What should I not do?
- Do NOT move anyone who is injured, unless you must move them to save their life.
- Do NOT discuss the collision—fault, responsibility, circumstances, etc.—with the other driver(s).
- Do NOT drive an unsafe vehicle away from the scene. Call us to have your vehicle towed to our safe and secure collision centre.
- Do NOT sign anything that you have not read or don’t understand. Whatever it is, it can wait until you and your family are safe and you have time to look at it more closely.
- Do NOT have your car towed to an impound lot. Between towing and impound fees, this will cost you far too much money in the long run.
My car is wrecked, who should I call to tow it?
Anyone. As a locally owned and operated business, Bemac is proud of the relationships we’ve built across the city. We work with all towing companies in Ottawa and make it easy for them and for you to get your vehicle on our secure lot. Call our 24-Hour Towing Hotline to have your tow arranged.
The tow truck driver asked me where I want my vehicle towed, what should I say?
“Bring it to Bemac!” Many drivers will offer to take your car to their impound lot. Do NOT do this. By bringing your vehicle to our collision centre, you will save yourself money on additional towing and impound fees.
How long will the repairs take?
Every situation is different; it could take an afternoon or it could take a week. With seven acres of space, multiple service hoists and paint bays, Bemac Collision and Service will get you your car back fast. But we pride ourselves on doing the job right.
We have a very thorough collision repair process that we follow to the letter. Your vehicle will be returned to you detailed, aligned, inspected and test driven. From initial estimate to advanced notification of when the repairs will be complete, Bemac delivers you an exceptional customer experience.
How do I get to work while my car is being repaired?
Bemac offers many services to our customers to help them get around without their vehicle. From a free shuttle service to a range of car rental options, we take care of everything so you can get to work, take your kids to school, and go about your day-to-day despite the hassle of being without a vehicle.