How Often Should You Wash Your Car (and What Happens if You Don’t)?
January 04, 2021
Washing your car is important – and it’s not just about looks. Regular cleaning and care such as washing or clay bar detailing will protect your vehicle from all kinds of perils. The question is, how often should you wash your car? (And what are the risks if you don’t?)
The Importance of Washing Your Car
Ottawa’s climate is tough on humans and even tougher on our cars. Winter’s snow, ice, and road salt, followed by summer’s tree sap, bird droppings, and insect splatter, take a heavy toll. It’s essential to wash all that gunk off promptly before it can do some serious damage.
Additionally, washing your car routinely will not only keep it in good shape, but also maintain its resale value. (That equates to a quicker sale and more money for you.)
Risks of Not Washing Your Car
1. Troublesome Gunk and Dirt. If you don’t wash your car as needed, the aforementioned gunk, plus plain old dirt and dust, will lurk in all kinds of crevices and crannies. This mess will damage the paint job and retain moisture, potentially leading to rust, unless you promptly get rid of it.
2. Impaired Visibility. Dirt on the driver’s side windshield reduces your view of the road, while dirty headlights make you less visible to other motorists. Either way, you’re at risk!
3. Scratches. Left alone, those tiny particles of dirt and grime will be blown by the wind ... right across your car’s paint job. Scratchhhhhhh! Ou might think of it as nature’s way of keying your car.
4. Car Paint Fading. All that dirt and scratching also compromise the clear coat, which contains UV protection. With a subpar clear coat, your car will be left unprotected from fading due to the sun’s rays and chemicals found in the air.
5. Corrosion. Not washing your car leaves it vulnerable to rust and corrosion. Once started, these perils are hard to stop and eventually they will threaten the very structure of your car.
Ways to Maintain Your Car: Washes, Waxing and Detailing
So go ahead and wash your car on a regular basis – please. Wax your car regularly, as well; applying a coat of wax will help protect your vehicle. And occasionally treat your vehicle to a professional detailing , for in-depth cleaning, refreshing, and protection, both inside and out.
Recommended Car Wash Maintenance Timeline
Experts suggest following a timeline for basic car maintenance tasks. The frequencies listed below are minimum recommendations; more frequent maintenance won’t hurt. (Note that you will probably need to perform these tasks somewhat less frequently if you keep your car in a garage.)
Car wash: Every 2 weeks, more frequently with heavy exposure to dirt or salt
Car wax: Every 3 months for paste or liquid; once a month for spray (check manufacturer’s instructions)
Cleaning and conditioning of leather seats: Every 3 months
Car detailing: Every 4-6 months
Bemac Will Keep Your Car Clean and Damage Free
Get your car deep-down clean. Have it professionally detailed by the experts at Bemac. We’ll treat your vehicle with loving care to protect it and keep it looking great!
I WANT MY CAR DEEP-DOWN CLEAN
View all blogs