The Towing Bill of Rights was introduced last week as a guide for Ontario drivers, based on legislation put in place in 2017.
According to research done by a chapter of the Canadian Automobile Association (CAA), 50% of Ontario drivers are unaware or unsure of their rights when it comes to towing and roadside assistance. The Towing Bill of Rights will help educate and protect drivers from high-pressure sales tactics used by unethical towing companies.
The Towing Bill of Rights
All Ontario drivers should familiarize themselves with the Towing Bill of Rights listed below.
- You decide who you want to tow your vehicle and where you want it taken (unless otherwise directed by police).
- Before towing starts, a permission to tow form must be signed
- The towing company must provide you with an itemized invoice before receiving payment.
- The final bill can’t be higher than 10% above the quoted price.
- You are able to pay by credit card if you choose.
- You are permitted to have access to your vehicle to collect personal items during business hours at a towing facility.
- A tow operator is required to notify you where your vehicle will be towed.
- A tow operator must disclose if they’re receiving a financial incentive to bring your vehicle to a particular repair shop or storage facility.
We recommend printing off the downloadable guide and keeping it in your glove compartment – that way you’ll always have it in case you need a tow.
You Choose Who Tows Your Vehicle and Where
The most important thing to remember is that the choice of who tows your vehicle and where it goes is up to you. If a tow truck shows up and tries to pressure you into working with them, remember that it’s your right to say no.
Bemac’s Towing Information
One of the best ways to work with the company of your choice is to have their information handy should you ever need it.
Bemac offers towing services to the entire Ottawa Valley. We provide fair price quotes and have 3 repair locations that can handle whatever you need.
Save our 24-Hour Towing hotline number in your phone: 613-728-1908.